Monday 18 November 2013

Preliminary exercise & Evaluation


The task of this preliminary exercise was to make a short 30 second clip in order to enhance our editing skills and to get a feel of how to use the video cameras. We also had to use the 180 degree rule and show match on match action. My group particularly focused on a conversation between two females (Humera and I), where we delivered four short lines of dialogue to build and create suspense. We then showed Ishan under the table lying down towards the end of the clip, with his eyes closed to show the audience we murdered him.

WWW:
My group did not break the 180 degree rule as we filmed over my left shoulder and Humera’s right shoulder, focusing on one side of the room as we had our conversation sitting opposite each other on the table. We also used a match on match action shot when Humera opened the door to the room, where I was sitting down waiting for her. We also came up with a short, yet intriguing dialogue to interest the audience within the 40 seconds of filming. I also feel like the pace of the clip was good, not too fast but not too slow either as it kept the audience interested. We also used a good range of different types of shots e.g. long shot when Humera is walking towards the door, high angle shot when she opens the door, a shot under the table and a close up on Ishan’s face. I feel as though my group and I followed the structure and requirements well, however there were things we could improve.

EBI:
I believe that my group could have spent more time shooting the actual production, even though we had one week to film and edit. When the conversation was filmed, It would have been better if me and Humera had sat closer (possibly taken a table out), as the distance between us did not let the camera focus clearly on our faces.  Also, if we used the 180 degree rule on the other side of the room and did shots on our opposite shoulders to what we originally filmed as it would allow less of the background room to be shown. This would make the film clip look more professional. We also should have put down the blinds in the room as the fact that you can see outside the window does not make the murder look as serious. Infact we should be in an isolated room with the dead body under the table. However, this helps my group and me as we now realise the importance of the background in filming as well as the characters, dialogue, lighting and sound.


Overall it was a fun and enjoyable experience which will definitely help me with my filming next time for my coursework as I have learnt new editing skills, as well as picking up on faults in our production to improve for the future.

2 comments:

  1. Mark: 5/10
    Grade: C
    WWW: This is a solid evaluation that picks out the key positives and negatives accurately.
    EBI: What you're lacking here is the depth and detail required for the top grades. For example, breaking down individual shots into how and why they were constructed in that way and the effect on the audience. You also need more media language/theory in your writing.
    LR: List three things you will do differently when it comes to your main coursework having completed this preliminary exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LR: 1) Use media theories and terminology when evaluating my coursework.
    2) Break down my shots into why they were constructed in a particular way.
    3) Carefully construct framing when producing my final piece of work.

    ReplyDelete